Frequently Asked Crane Hire and
Contract Lifting Questions
Some of the most common questions asked about
our crane hire and contract lifting services
We often have questions asked about our crane hire and contract lifting services, so have summarised some of the most common questions in the sections shown below.
If you have a question that isn’t covered in this section of our website, please feel free to call us on 0161 678 7029 or 07902 043 555
Click on a question to reveal the answer
1. What can you lift with your cranes?
- We lift a wide range of loads with our cranes. As our fleet is large, we are able to offer solutions for more basic lifts, such as RSJ lintels for small-scale construction projects, right through to large commercial roof trusses, site offices / cabins, and even vehicles. We offer cranes from as low as 8 tonne lifts, right up to 200+ tonnes, and offer vehicles that are suitable for different terrains and locations.
2. What is contract lifting?
- Contract lifting is a process by which Molloy Lifting Ltd would manage the project for you from start to finish - We assess the site, do the necessary risk assessments and surveys, and specify the crane and the team needed to ensure the job is carried out safely within current regulations.
3. What size cranes do you offer for hire?
- We can offer almost any size and specification of crane for hire. We operate cranes from 8 tonnes right through to 200+ tonnes, so can find a suitable crane for your specific lift project. If you need advice in deciding which crane would be suitable for you, feel free to ring our team on 0161 678 7029 as we’d be happy to help.
4. How do I know which crane to hire?
- If you’re not sure which crane to hire, we can help. We’d usually expect that your site has an appointed person (someone qualified to do the necessary risk assessments and plans), but if you don’t have that person available, we can supply a crane on a contract lift basis, meaning that we handle the whole project for you to ensure it is within current regulations and guidelines.
5. Where do you operate?
Molloy Lifting offer crane hire services and contract lifting throughout the UK. We are based on Oldham, just on the outskirts of Manchester, so carry out many projects in local areas such as Huddersfield, Bolton, Bury, Stockport and Liverpool, but have also traveled extensively through Wales, Scotland, and have regular customers based in London, Birmingham and the south of England.
6. Do you carry out machinery and plant removals?
- Yes - we carry out lots of projects where we are asked to remove either machinery or plant with our cranes. We simply visit your site before the crane is required to help us assess what access is needed and the size of crane required, and then carry out the work at a time to suit you.
7. I need a cherry picker but am unsure what type – can you help?
- Not a problem – we have a wide range of cherry pickers to suit almost any application so will be able to find the right solution for you. We’d normally call you via phone, discuss the access situation, height and loads involved, and recommend a solution from the information provided. We can also visit your site to assess further requirements if necessary.
8. I need a crane within a city centre with access via narrow streets – can you help?
- Yes – we have a number of cranes that are specifically used in tighter city locations. Our city class cranes are smaller than some other alternatives, and are more agile in tighter spaces. We can handle the crane hire, and also offer advice and support on traffic control if it’s likely to obstruct vehicles on the road.
9. Do you provide documentation to support your contract lift projects?
- Yes – all contract lift projects must have sufficient documentation to ensure the efficacy of the crane being used, and the safety of the site. Our regular contract lift services would include method statements, risk assessments, safety assessments, computerised lifting plans, all of which are CPCS approved.
10. Are you registered with CPCS?
- Yes – Molloy Lifting Services are registered under the CPCS (construction plant competence scheme) which ensures that all work we carry out comlies with the necessary codes of practice for competence and certification. You can find out more about the CPCS by clicking here.
11. Which crane do I need in a rural location?
- With the location being rural, it’s likely that you’ll need an all terrain crane, which is one of our hire cranes that are suitable for less than perfect terrains and situations. The specific all terrain crane will depend on the weight of what you’re lifting, but we have a number of options available.
If you have any questions you’d like answering, please call us on 0161 678 7029 or 07902 043 555 and we’ll post your question and our answer as soon as possible.